Note: The Columbia Earth Day event has been postponed to April 26.
For the second year, we’ll be hosting a booth at Columbia’s Earth Day festival. Last year, we won the organization’s Best For-Profit Booth award. We are looking forward to another enjoyable experience, this time with a location on Eco Avenue, the heart of Earth Day, located on Elm St between 7th & 8th St.
This year we intend to have a variety of interesting reasons to stop by, including:
- Kid-friendly, hands-on interpretive displays of natural items from the farm.
- Wood products for sale, including garden-bed frame kits and birdhouses built to Audubon standards, all made from cedar wood cut and milled on-farm (more about birdhouses here).
- Signups for notification of produce available later in the season, including strawberries and garlic.
- Small packets of Mercuri tomato seeds, a rare heirloom tomato that come from a friend’s Canadian-Italian family. These are winter-storage tomatoes; they will not beat most summer tomatoes in fresh flavor, but will store for months in your pantry, giving you fresh tomatoes long after the growing season is over (and saving significant canning work). They are prolific, hardy, and disease-resistant. We offer these through the Seed Savers Exchange network, but will make them available at Earth Day as a way to encourage home gardening and local food consumption.
- We may have small amounts of herbs or other produce for sale. This will be a last-minute decision.
Here are photos of some prototype wood products we’ll be offering. Top photo, from left to right, wren house, bluebird house, phoebe shelf. Bottom photo, 3’x4′ garden bed frame. Finished product will be screwed together at the joints, ready to be filled with soil/compost and planted. Also available, 4’x4′ squares. Cedar lumber resists rot very well and will last many years as a bed frame. These are also good for framing young trees.
We both plan to attend this year, so stop by, check out the displays, chat about eco-friendly diversified farming, consider adding a birdhouse or garden bed to your home, and help make this another great Earth Day!